Total Pageviews

Monday, 10 August 2026

Shadows Over Innsmouth - Stephen Jones (ed)


 I am fascinated by H P Lovecraft and I write continuation stories.   What could be better for me than this collection of continuation stories based on the one story?   Editor Jones includes the story itself and I enjoyed re-reading it, though I must have read it half-a-dozen times before.

There are seventeen other stories, none of which I have read before, plus excellent illustrations by top graphic artists and an informed introduction by Jones himself.   I particular enjoyed the stories by Brian Stableford ('The Innsmouth Heritage'), David Langford ('Deepnet') and Brian Lumley ('Dagpn's Bell').   I was surprised how much I enjoyed 'Only the End of the World Again' by Neil Gaiman, who is one of those writers whose cleverness I admire but whose work sometimes gets too clever; this example I thought was absolutely on point and strikingly atmospheric.

Jones has done at least two more Innsmouth volumes for Titan Books.   How much Innsmouth can I take?   We'll have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment