Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Birds, Strangers and Psychos - Maxim Jakubowski (ed)


 Fantastic idea for a crime anthology - stories inspired by Hitchcock films.   And Maxim Jakubowski, with his unparalleled contacts, brings it off superbly.   There are no duds here.   Some, of course, I like better than others, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

On that score, my absolute favourite was David Thomson's 'Like a Bun at Bewley's',  I've never encountered him before but I'm ordering in what I can find of his output, notably Suspects from 1985.   I was blown away by his tone and style - how many levels he can fit into one short story.   Other discoveries - and that is surely the point of anthologies - Xan Brooks ('The Mountain Eagle') and Vaseem Khan ('The Hunter').   There are also well-known favourites here: Denise Mina, S A Cosby, Kim Newman, and M W Craven.   Lee Childs contributes and Peter Lovesey offers what must have been one of his final works; both are perfectly acceptable and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment