Total Pageviews

Tuesday 28 November 2023

Superstition & Science - Derek Wilson


 Wilson provides a terrific introduction to the development of Western Thinking between the Reformation and the Age of Englightenment - roughly 1500 to 1800.   He covers all the well-known thinkers and adds as many that I, for one, was either unfamiliar with or had not explored.  Wilson provides well-considered summaries to their individual contributions and relationship with one another, without ever losing narrative drive essential to the book's success.

Personally, I suspect the discovery I will taken away is the Wesley brothers, John and Charles.   I was brought up as a Methodist, albeit an Independent Methodist, and have long been an atheist.   I remember the Wesleys, Charles especially, from the hymnbook at Sunday morning service.   I stopped attending a month after my twelfth birthday and never considered them again.   Now Wilson has given me fascinating insights to their ideas and their lives.   For instance, I knew nothing whatsoever about their missionary work in the US.   I can't help but wonder, why Georgia.   And I know full well I will have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment