Total Pageviews

Thursday 31 December 2020

The Mammoth Book of Dracula - Stephen Jones (ed)

 


Another collection of Dracula-related material, this time all modern continuation stories with the added plus of a long except from Stoker's play version of his novel.  There are some crackers here - I especially liked the stories by F Paul Wilson, Brian Stableford and Roberta Lannes - and only two I couldn't see the point of (I continue to miss the appeal of Thomas Ligotti and I find no real merit in the concluding poem by Jo Fletcher).  What is really effective is that Jones has managed to provide an over-arching narrative line from the human lifetime of the Count to the eve of the new Millennium (the book was originally published in 1997).  I always find an introduction to the writers and their other work useful.  Good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment