Total Pageviews

Friday 7 April 2023

Babette's Feast - Isak Dinesen


 Originally published in 1958 when Blixen/Dinesen was 73, this is one of her last collections whereas Seven Gothic Tales (reviewed below) was one of her first.  There is absolutely no difference in quality.  As with the Gothic Tales, there is a common theme.  Originally the title was Anecdotes of Destiny, which is exactly what they are, but I fully understand why Penguin have renamed the book.

There are five stories, only three of them substantial.  'Diver' and 'The Ring' really are just anecdotes, albeit excellent ones.  The substantial works are 'Babette's Feast', 'Tempests', and 'The Immortal Story'.  I was absorbed by them all.  In theory, I suppose, I should with my background (theatre) I should prefer 'Tempests', especially given that one of the few Shakespeare plays that still enthuses me is The Tempest.  Actually, though, my favourite was 'The Immortal Story.'   I think it was its oddness - a wealthy English tea merchant in Canton decides to re-enact a modern myth - and its circularity.  I have a theory that the tying up of narrative ends is one of Dinesen's defining traits.  And we must remember the original title.  These events, even the twists and turns of the plot, were all pre-ordained.

I continue to be amazed how the same person can write stories like these and Out of Africa.  I tell myself it is the ghastly, unwatchable film of the latter that puts me off and the book might be perfectly acceptable.  I'm still not going to read it.  I'm tempted to try The Angelic Avengers next.

No comments:

Post a Comment