Total Pageviews

Friday 28 January 2022

In the Absence of Men - Philippe Besson

It's unfortunate that I read the Radiguet so recently because this is a homage written 85 years later with the sole twist being that the illicit love is a gay one.  Instead of betraying the trust of a soldier at the front, 16 year old Vincent sleeps with one.  Meanwhile Vincent is flirting with the celebrated novelist Marcel P, who doesn't take a lot of identifying.

That said, it is a beautifully written novel which truly honours Radiguet's daringly frank style.  Every sentence is expertly crafted.  The deployment of tense and person is brilliant; the characterisation good but not really anything new.  I must say I didn't like the epistolary section in the middle.  Another quibble: the war never really convinced me.  I appreciate that Besson presents Paris as a bubble but surely it can't have been totally cut off?

So - yes, I enjoyed In the Absence of Men, but I don't feel enlightened by it.  Unless Besson's other works offer more originality (and judging by the outline of Lie With Me in the endpapers, it doesn't seem likely) I shan't be reading any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment